Thursday, December 13, 2012

Holiday Fit-tip No.13 - See your Doc

Today I have decided to take a break from my holiday tips because I want to share with everyone the importance of getting pap'd. I guess we could turn this into a Fit-Tip because staying on top of yearly doctor appointments is extremely important. So go and get your pap test ladies and if your a guy reading this make sure you support any ladies you have in your life and tell them to go and have their pap done.

Over the past two years I have had "abnormal" test results and in June I was referred to have a colposcopy done which is where they check for cancerous cells on your cervix. Needless to say the not knowing part was always in the back of my mind. Working out and being healthy has definitely helped keep my mind off certain things and training is a great outlet for me. Everyones outlets are different. Plus there was nothing I could do until I got my appointment.

I waited six and a half months for my appointment at the hospital and today I got the results. My cells are pre-cancerous and I will be waiting for another appointment at the hospital to have a procedure called LEEP.  A Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure. This procedure is done to remove any pre-cancer cells on my cervix to ensure they don't become cancerous. I will have to wait another few months until I have this procedure done but my doctor said it is curable so now I wait.

Driving home from my appointment I felt a sadness in my heart but I know there are people who are way worse than me but I want to draw attention to this matter and say it loud and clear that getting PAP'D (pap smears) is very Very important.

If you have a mom, aunt, sister, girlfriend, wife ask them when their last pap was. If they say they don't know, give them a stern look and tell them they need to go. Going undiagnosed can be very serious. In Canada last year 400 women died of Cervical Cancer and 1300 to 1500 were diagnosed. Book an appointment today. It is 20 minutes out of your life once a year to have the reassurance that you are in the clear. Check out the Canadian Foundation for Women's Health.

When you think of the big picture, it seems silly not to be go. If you haven't gone, why the heck not?! Give yourself the assurance that your can proudly say my cells are normal!

Holiday Fit-Tip Number 13 (ladies) - Get Pap'd

Nicole

3 comments:

  1. Thinking about you Nicole xo. I have gone through exactly the same process and procedures.... as recently as last month :( Be positive and keep talking care of yourself. Every thing will be good.:) Love ya, xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that but it's good to know that you are taking care of your health and they were able to pick it up early when it's still very treatable. If anything, besides getting regular Pap smears, i would really encourage all women, who are able to, to get the HPV vaccine Gardasil or Cerverix. HPV is the culprit behind cervical cancer and it can be prevented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words. It's so important to spread the word and that is why I wanted to share my story. It means a lot to hear yours.

    ReplyDelete