Friday, November 23, 2012

FitSugar - my new favorite site!

It's official, my site domain is up and running! If you found me through myjourneytooxygen, there is a new name in town. Check out nicolewilsonfitness.com! Very exciting or I like to say amazeballs. After spending 7, very frustrating, hours yesterday and a few today my problems were fixed by a very helpful man with a thick southern accent named Bob. High-5 Bob!

After spending some very trying times cruising my computer, my partner advised...then pulled me (literally) away from our Mac and banned me from using it for the rest of the night. He said all this stress has probably cost me 3 years of my life. Needless to say I feel a million times better today. I can't say the same for my chest and triceps, hello DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness).

On WWW (Wilson's Workout Wednesday) Brett and I hit the gym for a chest and tricep workout I put together. I was sore yesterday but today I can really feel it. I think that is the best part of training is being able to feel a targeted muscle group a day or two after. Today I will be doing legs and shoulders and tomorrow Brett and I will be training back and biceps. I am trying to break Brett in so I don't think he is ready just yet for my leg workout. He's off the hook today because he has to work but tomorrow is Strong Saturday which means today is Focus Fitness Friday...now I'm getting carried away.

My focus in the off season is putting on muscle. This means that my training will focus on lower reps, more sets, heavier weights and slower movements. In addition to my weight workouts, I will be incorporating plyo's and one week where my workouts are high reps and low weights to mix things up. I will be doing little or no cardio except for active cardio.  Once I start my prep I will crank up the cardio. My goal right now is to stay lean through eating clean but I need to build up muscle so cardio isn't a huge priority.

Once my computer problems were solved, I got really engaged with one of my new books about fat and how it works in the body and how much you body needs for training. It's very interesting. I decided to take a Pinterest break and check out some new DIY ideas when I came across a workout from a site called FitSugar. It is an amazing site that has everything from workout videos that you can do from home to meal ideas to celebrity trainers! It gave me a lot of great ideas on what I'd like to do on my site as it grows and develops.

As far as the job hunt goes, its going and I hope to have a few more things lined up for next week but in the interim I plan on staying in Victoria. Brett and I will be moving in the middle of December and will be busy with exams and projects for the next few weeks so I am going to start packing our apartment and getting ready for that. I've been putting out a lot of feelers and using contacts I have to help me look. There is no point in going back and forth until I have a solid plan in place and at least while I'm in Victoria I can practice my cooking.

On Tuesday when we went grocery shopping I bought a spaghetti squash bragging that I could make a delicious spaghetti dinner sans the pasta. Brett looked at me with little enthusiasm but I promised him it would be good. Wednesday night when we got home from our workout, I started to prep the squash.  I baked mine in the oven for 45 minutes and while it was baking made spaghetti sauce with lean ground turkey breast and an organic tomato sauce. If you look at the ingredients on regular pasta sauce versus organic you will notice that you can actually pronounce all the ingredients in the organic sauce. This is one thing I have really noticed in ready labels are all the preservatives in food to help it last longer. Obviously buying organic all the time would be really expensive so it will have to be done in moderation of course.

When I called him for dinner and I showed him how to scrap the spaghetti sauce, served him up some sauce and awaited to verdict. He was impressed and said he would eat it again. Operation Spaghetti Squash, success! This meal was also a success for two other reasons. Cost and calories. This dinner made enough for both of us to have left overs the next day. This meal cost me less than $20 for four meals or $5.00 per serving. Total calories for this meal were around 300 per serving.

Pick up some spaghetti squash tonight and check out FitSugar.com. Happy Friday everyone and Happy Thanksgiving to all my America readers. I hope you all love the new site.

Nic Out!
xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment