Monday, August 22, 2011

I met Tosca Reno, Heather Roberston and Partick House = great weekend!

The past few days had been some of the most exciting days I’ve had all summer. After flying from Regina, where we just opened a new Skechers store at the Cornwall Centre, I was off to Toronto for the Canfitpro Conference and Expo. The conference was for trainers from all over to come and recertify their credentials. The bonus was that I am doing my personal training certification with this organization so I was beyond excited to talk to people at the expo.
Even though I had a great weekend and we sold a lot of shoes, 52 pair, over the 2 days we were at the show, I find myself sitting at the airport exhausted. I can’t wait to get home and sleep in my bed and get back into my work/training routine. My program starts on Monday and my first stop when I get home is the grocery store to buy food for the week. I plan on hitting Costco hard. The show was awesome for so many reasons including my experience meeting Tosca Reno and her lovely family, Patrick House from Season 10 of the Biggest Loser and talking to people who are passionate about fitness and loved our product.

I got to meet two of my idols this weekend, Tosca Reno and Heather Robertson. Tosca and her family were at the show and they are the most genuine, down to earth amazing people (period). She came by the booth and was so thankful for the shoes we had given her and even wore them on stage. I was lucky enough to see her speak and she is a fascinating motivational speaker. Heather Roberston, who I also got to meet, is a fitness model and has graced the cover and inside of many fitness magazines. She is an absolute sweetheart and was just the nicest girl who I got to talk to for awhile. Patrick, from season 10 of the Biggest Loser was walking around so I approached him and asked him to come try on some shoes. He loved our new runners and wore them on stage as well. He is such an inspiration and has really changed his life and stopped by our booth a few times to say thank you or tell us about the shoes and how comfy they are. He is a perfect example of how eating healthy and taking charge of your life and incorporating fitness can change the biggest sceptical.
Meeting those people was probably the icing on the cake of a very successful show for us. I was in heaven all weekend. If you aren’t super passionate on fitness, I recommend going and walking around one of these shows. Everyone at the booths to the consumers are so nice and will answer any question if they can. The show had a great vibe and it was a good opportunity to meet some industry people and magazine publishers including Inside Fitness Magazine. I met gear guy Torey and the owner Terry and again they are super down to earth and really interesting to talk to.
Other than that, I went to the gym a few times and managed to eat very clean and very healthy. My hotel room at the Cosmopolitan was a 1 bedroom suite which made it feel like I was at home. I went to the grocery store the first night and bought a bunch of stuff for breakfast and for snacks at the show which was a great call because they didn’t have the best food at the show. It was quite ironic and I would say that was the only big flaw.
Life can be very indecisive and very challenging when it comes to finding that thing or person that you love and wake up everyday but being passionate about what you’re doing in life is very important. Ever since I finished high school I’ve realized that as much as I struggled at school because of my learning disability, got bullied but girls in elementary or searching for a great job (which I have), it all made me a stronger person and I know that fitness is my niche and I am going to do everything in my power to share my passion with others. That’s a promise and don't be shy to ask for help. I know it can be tough to ask for help but the outcome always over comes your initial fears. I've also learned you can never force anyone to do anything they don’t want to do or have an interest in and that is why you are the only one responsible to take that step forward to leading a healthier lifestyle. That lifestyle could start in the simplest form such as drinking more water and going for a walk once a week because you’ll never know where it will take you but remember to have a goal and a date to make yourself accountable.
I feel like this weekend lit a huge fire under my butt and I am more focused than ever on what I want and where I want to go. I know that life happens but I am going to work daily at being better and that’s all I can do. If you ever have any questions send them to me as a comment, email or Facebook message and I would be more than happy to answer them for you. Baby steps...remember.
Where ever your journey is taking, I wish you luck J
E.T.S.R (Eat. Train. Sleep. Repeat),
Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment