Friday, August 12, 2011

Don't be so shy!

Today I got up early and went to the gym in my hotel to do a quick cardio session before I hit the road to Lethbridge. It’s around a 2 and a half hour drive and I don’t know what to expect the hotel gym to look like there so I figure I should just get r’ done. I also felt like getting up and doing cardio.
Anyways, my point was that when I got to the gym there was another person on the other treadmill but there was no acknowledgment by either of us that the other was present. For the first five minutes I thought about why we act this way instead of just making eye contact and saying “hello.” I tried to make eye contact but I kept thinking about what would happen when I did and all I wanted to get out of the conversation was a good morning to be returned. Gym etiquette is very different for people because some are in the zone and some don’t mind socializing but I don’t think a simple hello is really going to throw you off your workout.  But saying a basic hello to someone is life etiquette.
I don’t know why people are so hesitant to walk down the street with their head up instead of pretending to memorize every crack and rock on the sidewalk. The same thing goes with elevators. No one talks; everyone just stares everywhere but at the other person so they won’t have to talk to them and it fascinates me. I will admit that at first it took me a lot to start saying hit to people but after a while it becomes second nature. Now that I travel so much for work I’ve really enjoyed making conversation with people because it can get lonely on the road. I do find that some places are friendlier than others. The ones that top my list are Victoria, Red Deer and Kelowna. I didn’t want to sound completely bias by listing Vancouver but I find it to be a fairly friendly city. The next time you are in the gym or walking down the street, make eye contact with them and say hello. I promise it won’t kill you and it might make someone’s day.
Last night I went for a walk after dinner, which I picked up from Safeway, from my hotel to the Tim Hortons. When I arrived, I tugged on the door but it was locked. I peered inside and a guy looked at me and pointed to the drive-thru window. I proceeded to walk through the drive-thru to the window where he was standing. He opened the window and welcomed me to Tim Hortons. I hunched down and asked why the door was locked and he said that the area was a little “sketchy.” I quickly ordered my tea and decided I better walk quickly back to my hotel before it got dark or “sketchy.” I was actually really enjoying my walk up until my experience at the walk-thru. No phone, no wallet, just me and the pavement and my head held high in case I made eye contact with anyone I could say hello.
I was so tired last night that I opted to go to Safeway instead of going out to eat. After the summit yesterday, I needed to find a UPS store and ship a bunch of samples to the Montreal Show Room and what should have taken me 10 minutes according to my GPS took me 35 minutes due to being in the wrong lane or missing an exit. I saw a lot of Calgary yesterday and managed to make it to UPS at 5:55. Five minutes before they close and the owner gave me a talk about he was done his cash out for the day and because of me would have to redo the entire thing. What the heck! I am just as tired as you buddy.
At Safeway I knew I wanted one of the oven cooked chickens and a salad and I could hardy wait to get back to my hotel and get into my pyjamas and eat dinner. Of course I put clothes on to go for my walk. I wouldn’t dare ware my Barbie pink pyjamas in public except when I was forced out of a hotel in Red Deer at 2 am in the morning because of a false fire alarm. I wasn’t too concerned about my pyjamas due to my fabulous hair that looked like I had woken up and had Kevin Paves (Jessica Simpsons stylist) had styled it which I’m convinced is the reason I was getting lots of look and had nothing to do with my pink PJ bottoms.... My second concern was that me and 3 other guests were taking the elevator to the lobby, with the fire alarm going. I was thinking of saying that we should take the stairs, but they were 3 burly truck drivers and wasn’t about to try and tell them what to do. My last concern was that it was below forty outside not including wind chill so we were all hanging out in the lobby with the fire alarm going.  I called my dad and his response is that it was a good lesson to know where the fire exits were and to always have a jacket and shoes prepared in case of an emergency. With my dad being retired, he’s definitely my go to guy.
Anyways, today has been a productive start to the day. I got up went to the gym and did a little cardio session and having a little breakfast before hitting the road in my sweet ass Challenger! It’s suppose to take 2 and a half hours to get there but I have a feeling i’ll be arriving a little early. Sorry dad...
Have a great day and weekend everyone!
Yours in health and fitness,
Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment