Friday, July 8, 2011

What's in your FRIDGE?!

I decided to repost part of my articple from the other day because I had lots of feedback on it. "My food has been really good the last few days. I am still adjusting to being able to eat fruit and have rice cakes which may sound bizarre to anyone who just started reading my blog but I am still eating clean and keeping processed foods down to a minimum and having the occasional cheat meal - dah. For me it is important to eat as clean as possible and I realize that Splenda (as much as I like it) is a majorly processed product. My scale for determining whether a food is processed or not is as follows:

Unprocessed = 1 ingredient (and usually doesn't have a label, but a small sticker (apples/bananas) or comes wrapped in elastic bands (asparagus).
Semi-processed = 3-5 ingredients (rice cakes, peanut butter....)
Processed = anything with more than 5 ingredients....usually isn't food in my world and can be found on the inside of any grocery store - I will admit to enjoying a burger every once in awhile as a cheat meal which at 18 weeks out - I am still allowed. Don't judge me :S

I know that eating clean sounds like a huge chore but once you get the hang of it, it's really easy and your body will thank you. Here's a test and challenge for you this week...WHAT'S IN YOUR FRIDGE?!?!!?

Go to your fridge and open the door....how many items are in bottles or bags and have more than 5 ingredients? Are the fridge doors stuff with condiments that you don't use or overuse? When you use sauces and dressings before even tasting your food how do you know they even need them? That is also something someone said to me that really made me ponder it. My friend Natalie's fridge looks just like mine. Egg whites, chicken, steak, fruit, veggies, peanut butter and that's pretty much it. Literally, that is all that is in our fridges. There are a few rice cakes and yams on top of the fridge but the freezer is all meat. What else would you need to freeze anyways? This brings me to the next Q....
Whats in your freezer?
How long has it lived there? A great rule of thumb is don't eat anything that doesn't spoil or go bad. Someone told me that once and it makes so much sense. We eat so many things that don't go bad because they are full of so many chemicals and probably aren't good for us.
This whole eating clean concept really is super simple but takes some time to adjust to but maybe this has put a question mark in your head on why we really feel the need to buy all that food in the first place and stuff it away in our freezers and cupboards when we will a) never use it or b) it will never go bad - so why are we putting it in our body in the first place??!"
Ponder that on this lovely weekend!
Yours in health and fitness,
 
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment