Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Spent.

Today I got up and made my oatmeal pancake and did some work before heading to the gym. I usually feel alright going but today I was exhausted. My pre-workout coffee went down like water but I was hoping it would spark something in my body as I drove out to the Oval. Greeted by Arnavez, who works at the front desk, my body slowly started waking up. Next challenge, the three flights of stairs to get to the fitness centre...today wasn't going to be easy.
At this point, I've usually got a plan but today I couldn't decided how I wanted to torture my body. My mind was spinning as I climbed each flight....treadmill/stairs...bike/elliptical...rower/bike and stairs...I can't even picture myself on any piece of cardio equipment, my legs were spent and I still had to get 60 minutes of cardio under my belt and after I could work and take it easy the rest of the day - holy s*%#.
I got to the top, and as always, Sam is there working hard and saying good morning and asking me how my day was. I love going to the Oval to train. Everyone there is awesome and I really appreciate your smiliing faces. 
After making the conscious decision that I was going to start with the tready and finish on the elliptical, it was go time! No more stalling. Headphones on and I was off. To my surprise, my 35 minutes of intervals on the treadmill went by quiet quickly which was bad news for the next 25 minutes of torture on the elliptical. It was like time had stopped. I got to the last 10 minutes and wanted to switch to the bike but knew that when it gets this hard is when your body reeps the most benefits so I stuck out the last 10 minutes and wanted to die. This is the sign of a good workout...In terms of machine, it doesn't matter what I do or for how long. All that matters is that I am working hard enough to break a sweat. I can do 30/30, 20/20/20, 40/20 which is the only control I have over my 60 minutes of cardio besides what machine I want to use. 

My hamstrings and legs are so sore today which might be from the lack of stretching...which I realize now is soooooo important and I won't be skipping out on spending my sweet time cooling down after all my workouts form this point forward. The fact that I am still getting sore at this point is a good sign though. This might have to do with the fact that every week my weight or reps increase. I am actually noticing changes not only to my body but when I go to lift a weight that use to be heavy in the beginning but is considerably lighter now. The other thing that surprised me is how many push ups and chin ups I can do. If someone told me to do 20 push ups I could do them no problem. If you ask me to do this, I will make you do them with me....and I might disown you.  Depends on my mood.

What is your favorite piece of cardio equipment?

Eat. Train. Sleep. Repeat.

Nic OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment